Thursday 30 June 2011

The Stitch and Thimble : 04

This has been a truly cross-continental issue of the Stitch and Thimble – starting in the northern hemisphere and ending in the southern. It's been a good lesson in working on the go and kept me busy for the few quiet moments in the past month when we haven't been hanging out with friends and family.

There's a kid's placemat and drawstring jewellery pouch, a pincushion with vintage-inspired embroidery and covered buttons, and a Scottie in trellis work. I also learnt two new techniques putting this issue together: making twisted cord and covering buttons, both of which I recommend giving a try.


This issue also marks the end of the Stitch and Thimble's first year in existence. It's been a big success from my point of view as a designer, as I've learnt and grown so much from putting these first four issues together. It hasn't been that successful commercially, though, which it needs to be if I'm to make this a career.

So I'd like to ask a big favour: If you like it, please would you pass on the word and let your embroidery friends know about the Stitch and Thimble? It'd be so appreciated. And if you don't like it, please let me know! Feedback is vital and the whole point is to come up with designs that needlewomen around the world actually want to stitch.

That said, a huge thank you to everyone who's bought the publication in the past year. And issue 04 is now available on my website for anyone who'd like a copy.

2 comments:

Paula Marcondes said...

Sorry to know about the commercial part of the magazine! I love it and I will let people know!
Regards.

Blissful Banter of a Creative Crafter said...

Kelly have you been over to the Hand Embroidery Network (HEN)? If you haven't , you should and that will reach a lot of people at once. It is still a new social network but a lot of people joining everyday!
Analisa