Tuesday 15 January 2013

Out-of-the-box stitching

Some interesting stitching has caught my eye recently, various artists I’ve come across here and there who are doing good things with fabric and thread. 

First up is Severija Inčirauskaitė-Kriaunevičienė from Lithuania, who has taken cross-stitch pedal to the metal – literally: 

Between City and Village, 2008 

Direction, 2009

Good Morning Composition, 2005

Way of Roses, 2010 

Once Upon a Time in the Soup, 2006 

Way of Roses, 2007


Sarah Trahan from Oakland, California, mixes things up with fabric, stitching and illustration to produce expressive and elegant pieces.

Mary, 2012: Digital collage

Untitled 1, 2012: Embroidery and appliqué

Untitled 3, 2012: Embroidery and appliqué 

Best Wishes, 2010: Digital collage

I was drawn immediately to the work of Jacinta Lodge by her sense of light-heartedness. Her stumpwork tattoos put a gritty spin on traditional stumpwork and I love her Graffiti Stitchers series “created in collaboration with photographer Matti Hillig”. 

From Jacinta Lodge's Graffiti Stitchers series

Mother: Blood drop detail

Mother: Ribbon detail


Mother

And Luke Haynes, an architect turned quilter, caught my attention with his Man Stuff series – a fresh, masculine take on quilt design. 

Man Stuff #2: Screwdriver, 90x55"

Man Stuff #3: Red Truck, 36x55"

Man Stuff #4: Elk Head, 45x55"

1 comment:

Miss Holly said...

I am so glad that you stopped by my site!!! We most definitely do have things in common...!!!!
Your work is amazing!!! I just love your designs..I started to go back on your site...I am going to look at it all!!!
Thanks so for your lovely comment..my husband has built me a studio!! And I am just painting it now and should be moving in next week!!! Then I hope to be much more productive!!!
Wonderful to meet you!!! Visit again!! And I am now following you!