Wednesday 5 September 2012

The Stitch and Thimble : 09


A box of kitchenalia that belonged to my gran was the inspiration behind the New Vintage apron project in this latest edition of The Stitch and Thimble. Although it’s modelled on a vintage design, the vibrant hues and design of the embroidery and fabric make it the perfect mix of old and new that I strive for in all my New Vintage projects.

Hanging hearts and a book bag (or otherwise general-purpose compact tote) are the two main projects in this, the ninth permutation of my quarterly pattern book. Both of these are pretty versatile in that the embroidery designs can be stitched on to almost anything and anything can be stitched on to the tote. I’m not so sure about the hearts, but you could use the patterns for plain fabric versions or appliqué I guess.

I had fun with the stitched brooch, or button as it might be referred to in the US. And I’m particularly chuffed with the way the blanket stitch sampler turned out. It’s a manifestation of recent trains of thought about stitch experimentation and form when designing for hand embroidery. And the colours worked beautifully as well.

If you’re keen to give any of these projects a go, the issue is available in my online shop. So head over to my website and snag yourself a copy.

No comments: