Saturday 8 September 2012

Dream studio : Lighting

I think it’s fair to say that every designer-maker, crafter and hobbyist dreams of the ultimate workspace, a studio with the perfect combination of light, storage, work surfaces and a plethora of plug points. All put together in a “page of a décor magazine” way, of course.

But the reality is that most of us create in spaces that are put together piecemeal with a jumble of tables, drawers, cupboards and storage boxes – a mend and make do approach, you could say.

I work on one side of our living room, with the cutting-sewing-working-dining table the divider of the space. And I’m grateful for the dedicated workspace.


But it doesn’t stop me from imagining my dream studio and the elements that make it so, such as light: 


This wall of glass is from the portfolio of São Paulo architect Vitor Penha, found on Pinterest but originally from the Desiretoinspire blog. It lets in a huge amount of natural light, but not blindingly direct sunlight – perfect for hand embroidery. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that would be a dream space to work in .

Anonymous said...

I think there can be such a thing as too much light, I have an entire attic which has south facing veluxes, and on a sunny day I have to wear a hat up there!

Robbie said...

Perfect for any work!! We can dream, can't we!

Mary Corbet said...

Oh boy! I'm with you, Kelly - a wall of windows like that, a space like that! 'Twould be divine!

Paul & Carla said...

We have a wall of south-facing windows — in Texas. Not only can it get too bright but also way too hot. I'm afraid a few years after moving in I capitulated and put shades over the windows in order to be reasonably cool and not so dazzled with the light.