Tuesday 1 November 2011

Festive feast


Christmas is eight weeks away. I won't pull out all the usuals about how the year has flown and leaving gift making a little late, etc, etc. Instead I offer you an easy out if you're the kind who likes to add a handmade touch to the holidays, in the form of a special Christmas edition of the Stitch and Thimble.



There are so many traditional ideas, designs and patterns out there that I went quite contemporary. I've put together some ideas for the table and gone with a rose theme. To keep things festive, I've stuck to the traditional red, white and green – albeit not the traditional dusky shades.

I loved stitching these designs, because I got to try out an idea that's been brewing in the back of my mind: continuous line design. Which means literally that, coming up with a design in which the stitching follows a single line. The obstacle to the idea was keeping it interesting to stitch – one long line of stem stitch isn't that exciting to do. So although the main element of each design can be stitched in one go, I've broken the lines up into sections of differing stitches, whipping and beading.

The issue includes patterns to embroider and make up a cutlery holder, napkin, coaster and name place for each of the family members and friends who'll be gracing your table this Christmas. Just add fresh roses.

No comments: