Thursday 24 March 2011

The Stitch and Thimble : 03

The third issue of the Stitch and Thimble is done, finished and complete. And it’s available to purchase on my website.


For my new followers (welcome and thank you for signing up) who might not know anything about the Stitch and Thimble, it’s a digital publication of original Kelly Fletcher embroidery designs that I’ll be bringing out four times a year. You’ll find five original projects and a set of templates in each issue: two main projects, a new vintage project, a sampler and a quick stitch project. The complete instructions and patterns for the embroidery and for making up each item are included.

For this issue, I embroidered a tortoise bib, which was more fun to stitch than anything I’ve done in a while. And it’d make a great baby shower gift.


Then I did some lacy, feathery stitches on a white pillowcase in crisp but calming colours that remind me of the ocean. I’ve always wanted to embroider a set of bed linen, so this was a good way to test the idea. I interspersed the stitching with white lace and have to admit I’m rather pleased with the end result. It looks great with all-white linen, although I’d love to do a version with myriad colours combining a variety of patterned fabrics… one day.


I’ve had the 60s-inspired floral sketch I used on the retro cosmetic bag in my sketchbook for ages, waiting for its moment to shine. This little bloom was a perfect fit for this issue’s new vintage project and it felt rather good to bring those casually drawn lines to life. I lined the bag with a piece of quilter’s cotton fabric in similar colours that has a 60s feel about it.


Easter is just around the corner, so a rabbit sampler and Easter egg templates are timely designs. This one uses filler stitches (and it’d also work well as an alternative design for the bib). There’s nothing you can’t do with an egg shape, the ideas are endless. But of all the ideas I toyed with, I like the four that made it into issue 03 best.


I’ve made a fair few quilted fabric coasters for our home and as gifts – and they go down well every time. I kept the embroidery design simple enough for it to qualify as a quick stitch project, and also in case you wanted to make more than one without spending days on the embroidery.


Hopefully this whets your appetite enough to make you want a copy of your very own. If so, head over to my website – I’m pretty sure you won’t be disappointed.

1 comment:

Blissful Banter of a Creative Crafter said...

Wow Kelly I love them! Such beautiful work! I want to be you when I grow up! lol
Analisa