Sunday 1 March 2009

Mulberry melange

Despite good intentions, I haven’t had much time for stitching this year. Life keeps getting in the way.

I have, however, stolen a few moments here and there to crochet a block from my new mulberry wool for our long-time-coming blanket. It’s a bit tricky to work with as it’s “space dyed roving yarn wrapped with a fine boucle”, so two strands bound together and the thicker one differs in width throughout. But with a little extra care I’ve ended up with the most gorgeously soft and sumptuous square.


And the colours are even better once crocheted. The sky is rather grey today, which is bad for photos. But it makes a good, moody backdrop for the deep, rich tones of the wool.

5 comments:

Tamara said...

Firstly this looks great:) Secondly I love the bear..you are right, I could make him stripey...is it a good book all round?...I'd love to get the pattern...you are so sweet to have recommended this to me. Tam xo

kat said...

Looks lovely Kel.

Clare Wassermann said...

I think the yarns look very soft when assembled like this. I've never come across Mulberry thread.

Angie said...

yummy looking yarn...I imagine the blanket will be very cosy indeed. It reminds me of mulberries....or at least the colour of our hands after picking mulberries!

Jennyff said...

That looks beautiful. Warm intense colours for a snuggly blanket, you'd almost want to catch a cold to cosy up underneath it.