Sunday 7 December 2008

King-size squares

Well, winter is here with a vengeance. We’ve had snow, frost, sleet, rain and ice in the past two weeks and it’s turned my brain to wool, figuratively speaking.

So I’m back on the crocheted squares that will one day become a king-size blanket for our bed. I now have nine 14x14” squares (funny how once you take up quilting, you start measuring everything in inches) and enough Rowan Soft Tweed left for about two more, which means I can almost go wool shopping again – I swore I wouldn’t buy more until I’d used up what I had.


I realise that 11 soft and tactile squares does not a king-size blanket make, but the wool was bought on sale – the last in stock – so this project is “as it comes” by necessity. I’m thinking of bringing in lemon yellow and crisp white, and grading the colours from top to bottom. The blocks will be joined so the half-treble rows run horizontally, vertically, horizontally…

It’s a simple but satisfying project for when you want to keep your hands busy while chatting, listening to a new album or letting your mind wander. Which is exactly what I did yesterday.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

I love this yarn...can't wait to see the finished product...whenever that may be;) Tam xo

Knot Garden said...

I know what you mean about seeing everything in inches, LOL. That's not the only similarity between making a quilt and a blanket out of squares. It will be a lovely warm and cozy blanket, and fun to graduate the colours.

Cele said...

The yarn looks divine. I can imagine the quality. It will look great.

UK lass in US said...

I'm looking forward to seeing it done. You're braver than me - so far I've stuck to wee baby blankets and a twin-size blanket for my son (which has a LONG way to go...)

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to make a crochet afghan for my bed for ages... yours might just be the push I need!

Anonymous said...

The lemon yellow and white sound like a striking combination.
Your Christmas cushions turned out fab as well!