Sunday 28 September 2008

Autumn inside and out


It’s a big day. I finished my Jacobean leaves embroidery this morning and – though there are certain things I’d do differently next time – I’m pretty chuffed with the overall result. The plan is to frame it and find a narrow wall space that needs a bit of colour.

The reason it’s a big day is that this is the first entirely Jacobean embroidery that I have conceptualised, designed, stitched and completed (!) from scratch. It’s been a monumental learning curve and made me quite excited to move on to the next idea in my sketchbook.

Which is why this post is more show, less tell.

PS. If you click on the pic, you'll get a larger version. But I've included close-ups of the last three leaves as well.






15 comments:

audreypawdrey said...

These are beautiful! Thanks for the book recommendation, too. After seeing the quality of your work, which is gorgeous, I am going to have to check it out! :)

Tamara said...

Is WOW enough;) You should be so proud of yourself...these are amazing, I can't wait to see what you come up with next, T x

cathleen said...

Exquisite handiwork!

Cele said...

Just beautiful. Your needlework and designs are brilliant.

Cassie said...

These are stunning. I love the colors and the designs. I love the feeling of a completed project from scratch. It gives you such a sense of accomplishment. Congratulations, now lets see some more!

MargB said...

these are truly wonderful. I love your embroidery - the stitching is tremendous.

Jennyff said...

That is a beautiful and unique piece of work, you set yourself very high standards. Congratulations.

KP said...

I think your embroidery is beautiful, I love the subject too, Autumn is my favourite season.
I am Cele's mother in law ( the wife of the owner of the garden railway!!)
If you want to see a video of the railway go to colwyngardenrailway.co.uk

I am new to blogging only been doing it a couple of days!!!

Joana said...

Congratulations! These are just wonderful.

porter hovey said...

Ohhh! These are just lovely!!

Clare Wassermann said...

This is the most amazing embroidery - I have just come across your site and will keep looking again and agian!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love your work! Its going to look great up on a wall!

Tamara said...

Just wanted to let you know you have a blogging award from me to you on my blog!

Hope you are having a wonderful day, Tam x

Katy said...

Absolutely gorgeous! You SHOULD be pleased with yourself!

UK lass in US said...

They are stunning - really, really beautiful!